EDE 2.0 Beta ChangeLog
EDE 2.0 Beta is the latest release of EDE desktop. This release brings a lot of improvements and introduces some new cool features and programs. Please note how this release is still a beta, going toward brand new and redesigned 2.0 release.
As always, your feedback is highly welcome. Please report bugs, wishes and ideas at http://bugs.equinox-project.org.
These are the details for each EDE component.
EDE Library (edelib)
edelib is now split into three separate libraries: edelib, edelib_gui and edelib_dbus (Bug #153). This reduces binary sizes if only one edelib subset was used.
- Regex now uses internal PCRE engine. This solved a lot problems we had with new gcc and non-gcc compilers.
- New menu system (forked from FLTK). Menus now support icons and menu items are scaled with icon size.
Fixed MimeType backed (Bug #155) that caused the crashes on NetBSD
More conformant DeskopFile class for handling Desktop Entries.
- Added very flexible theming system. Still needs a bits to be completed.
More tunings for SunStudio compilers, FreeBSD and NetBSD platforms.
- ...and many tiny details.
- New and redesigned ede-panel. Everything is in applets which gives ability to load only desired functionality, reducing memory and speeding startup.
ede-panel now implements XDG Menu Specification. All your installed applications will be correctly recognized and placed in target menu sections (if applications are fd.o menu specification aware and that is the case for almost all modern GUI programs).
- Default menu and icon specific menus are filled with icons from default theme.
- ede-desktop will be a little bit smarter when icon coordinates storage do not exists or was removed.
- Everything started from the desktop will be handled with ede-launch.
Dialog Helper (ede-dialog)
- ede-dialog (previous known as edialog) was completed and already put in usage. ede-help is using it, dumping xmessage usage.
Bug Report Tool (ede-bug-report)
A new utility to help bug reporting. With it, you can submit issues on our bug tracker in a few clicks; reporting bugs will be easier that ever
Crash Handler (ede-crasher)
- EDE Crash Handler now integrates ede-bug-report and you will be able to report crashes with full backtrace in a few clicks.
Mount notifier (emountd)
- emountd will assure only one emountd instance is running.
- Allow commands with unspecified number of arguments to be executed.
- Removed a lot of old and unused icons, configuration and desktop files.
EDE NetInstall script was rewritten in python getting better, much powerful and portable. Now, you can choose EDE version to build in a few command line parameters.