EDE 2.0 ChangeLog
- EDE 2.0 ChangeLog
EDE 2.0 is the latest release of EDE desktop. This release, including previous alpha and beta, is major EDE redesign and cleanup. eFLTK backend is replaced with more stable and maintainable FLTK 1.x. Additional library (called edelib) was added, extending FLTK with a lot of useful code and making EDE easier to port on new platforms.
As always, your feedback is highly welcome. Please report bugs, wishes and ideas at http://bugs.equinox-project.org.
These are the details for each EDE component. Alpha and beta changes are not included.
EDE Library (edelib)
- Improved theme engine. Theme meta code is simplified and (by introducing translation support in tinyscheme backend) allows translation support.
New font name handling engine. FLTK does not have support for readable font names (e.g. Pango style, like sans:12) so this code adds this feature. It is not complete as there are couple of places for improvement (sometimes it will select wrong font face).
- Extended scheme backend with news functions and syntax. Parts are inspired from Clojure.
- Small improvements on compiling with older FLTK releases (e.g. 1.1.10, but absolute minimum is 1.1.7) and *BSD.
- Improved shared libraries installation.
- Workspace switcher now correctly display workspace names.
Added panel hide button (called hider). When clicked, it will slide panel to right side, hiding it until explicitly unhided.
- Cleaned a couple of memory leaks.
- Added memory applet where current memory/swap state is reported. Only available on Linux for now.
Added Screen Lock option in menu.
- Support for loading .desktop files directly.
- Startup notification is now builtin, replacing extern program that handled this job.
- Prevent loading self: if given ede-launch as parameter with sub-parameters, parent launcher will pick up those parameters. This prevents the cases where default launcher launches programs handle by self, but as different program.
Notifications support (ede-notify-daemon)
New service, started when EDE was loaded. It will display notification messages prescribed by http://freedesktop.org.
Preferred applications tool (ede-preferred-applications)
New tool where user is able to select preferred browser, terminal, mail agent and file manager. It will cooperate with Launcher (ede-launch), as the former will use selected programs to open predefined patterns, like urls will be loaded by select browser and etc.
- edewm is retired and replaced with pekwm. With this, a new, customized pekwm theme is used by default.
- There has been a few compilation fixes in pekwm code (mostly related to iconv loading); still on Cygwin it requires manual handling.
Implemented missing functionality: icons can be created, renamed and deleted. Still some properties-like option (for editing details on existing icons) needs to be implemented.
Screen locker (ede-screen-lock)
- Added new program (shell script) that will lock screen by loading either xscreensaver or xlock, depending on which one is installed.
Bug report tool (ede-bug-report)
- Made it compile-able on latest curl versions.
- New wallpapers with author permission.
- Center all dialog-like windows for util programs.
- Removed unfinished programs (efiler and elma).